The NFL Offseason has been pretty wild so far. Just a few days ago the Browns went crazy: Traded a 2018 4th round pick and 2019 7th round pick to Miami for WR Jarvis Landy. Traded a 2018 3rd round pick to Buffalo for QB Tyrod Taylor. Traded QB DeShone Kizer to Green Bay for CB Damarious Randle. And traded DT Danny Shelton and a 2018 5th round pick to the Patriots for a 2019 3rd round pick. They had 4 trades in 2 days that is crazy. They haven’t stopped yet as they signed RB Carlos Hyde to a 3-year/$15M deal (including $6M in the first year) today.
Yesterday, March 13th, was by far the craziest day so far, included many players moving around. The signings yesterday include:
- RB Dion Lewis to the Titans (4-years/$23M)
- RB Jonathan Stewart to the Giants (2-years/$6.9M, $3M guaranteed)
- CB Malcolm Butler to the Titans (5-years/$61M, $30M guaranteed)
- CB Prince Amukamara to the Bears (3-years/$27M)
- OT Chris Hubbard to the Browns (5-years/$37.5M, $18M guaranteed)
- QB Sam Bradford to the Cardinals (1-year/$20M) (I am just as shocked about this one as you)
- CB Bashaud Breeland to the Panthers (3-years/$24M)
- QB Josh Mcown returning to the Jets (1-year/$10M) (The Jets are also finalizing a deal with QB Teddy Bridgewater)
- WR Danny Amendola to the Dolphins (2-years/$12M)
- TE Trey Burton to the Bears (4-years/$32M) (This one hurts)
- WR Marqise Lee returning to the Jaguars (4-years/$36M)
- QB Kirk Cousins to the Vikings (3-years/$84M)
- QB Drew Brees returning to the Saints (2-years/$50M) (Not a surprise)
- WR Allen Robinson to the Bears (3-years/$42M)
- WR Sammy Watkins to the Chiefs (3-years/$48M, $30M guaranteed)
- TE Jimmy Graham to the Packers (3-years/$30M, $20M guaranteed)
- DL Muhammad Wilkerson to the Packers (1-year/$5M)
The crazy part about it is I did not even include all the moves that were made yesterday I have never seen this many moves made in a day, this day alone beats some entire offseasons. Other moves include: (3/12) Mike Evans returns to the Bucs (5-years/82.5M). Richard Sherman to the 49ers (3-years/$39.2M). CB Aquib Talib traded to the Rams along with Marcus Peters traded to LA from KC. Rams LB Alec Ogletree traded to the Giants.
Now lets focus on the Eagles moves. So far we traded Torrey Smith to the Panthers for CB Daryl Worley. Smith had an alright year for the Eagles, stepped up a lot in the NFC Championship and Super Bowl, but we needed the cap space. We signed DE Michael Bennett (check out my blog on that). And Signed Haloti Ngata to a 1-year deal. I expect we are going to move on from Vinny Curry for cap space reasons, but our defensive line is going to be one of the best of all time possibly. We also lost Trey Burton to the Bears and we cut TE Brent Celek. Both these moves hurt because Trey has developed into a great player and helped us secure that Super Bowl, but since we have Ertz there was no reason to pay him that much and I’m happy he’ll be a starter getting PAID over in Chicago. Releasing Celek hurts because the man has put his everything into this organization since 2007 and it will hurt to not see him in an Eagles jersey anymore. One last bit of good news is today it was announced Nigel Bradham is returning to the Eagles (5-years/$40M). This is huge because our already kinda weak LB core couldn’t afford to lose a great player like Bradham.
Moves made today: RB Jerrick Mckinnon to the 49ers (4-years/$30M) (Yikes). LT Nate Solder to the Giants (4-years/$62M, $35M guarunteed). And RB Carlos Hyde (as I detailed in the first paragraph).
This offseason has been insanely entertaining so far and I can not wait to watch the rest play out.
Written by Vince LoBiondo
(Photo Via: NFL.com)